Monday, July 30, 2007

The "New" Speeding Ticket

I don't know how new these tickets really are. It's the first time I've had one.

I also don't know how many states are part of this reciprocal ticketing deal.

But I like it.

Talladega Co., AL, after driving for miles and miles in one of those "Work Zones" where the only sign of work is the sign that says it is a work zone, speed limit 55, I gave up and slipped the speed back to 75 mph. (This kind of construction zone creates dangers for workers wherever they might actually be present, a different rant for a different time.)

Miles later, I get popped for 75 in a 55. Where I'm clocked, I still haven't passed a single sign of work being done. Not even someone leaning on a shovel. But I get popped.

Cop's a state man. Professional. Polite. Suspect he will agree with my rant on zones like this if he ever sees it. But he says 20 over is too fast to give me a break. Then he very carefully makes sure I understand the law has a break built in I might be able to take advantage of.

Here's the deal, and it's pretty universal as near as I can tell:

If this is your first moving violation in over 3 years,

Get permission from the judge, that information comes with your official court date notification, to take a state approved traffic ticket class. Your state, you don't have to go back to the scene of the crime.

The class must be 4 hours and meet a few other requirements. Cost about $40 here.

Ship the diploma off to the applicable court along with your fine.

The ticket never shows up on public records. Your insurance company will not know.

Your insurance company will not know. Where was that option when I was 16 or even 25? If I could have saved just the difference in insurance premiums from those years, I could have retired at 45.

Whoever came up with this, wherever you are, my wallet thanks you, my mortgage company thanks you (but Ditech's second mortgage dept may not like you), and I thank you.

No comments: