Sunday, July 19, 2009

IE 8: Malware from Microsoft

I "upgraded" to IE 8 yesterday because several sites had messages they were about to stop supporting 6.

Installation:

Tries to change your preferred search (to bing, of course)

Changes your homepage without asking.

Installs bing as a second homepage so both tabs open when you start IE.

Does not appear to have a way to delete temp files without deleting cookies too.

Hides the "Temporary Internet Files" folder in a way I haven't figured out how to undo - including making hidden and system files/folders visible and using the attrib command.

Has some new way for web pages to access your system.

Adds all the microcrap, radio, money, msn, etc to your "favorites" at the top of the list.

In short, another entry on the list of "Why my next computer will be a Mac."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess I should be glad I have a mac, but I can't figure out how it works. Not sure it's better, although I'm somewhat of a computer dunce anyway.